A few months ago, my air conditioner completely died. I woke up in the middle of the night covered in sweat, and I didn't know what to do. The next day, I called an HVAC expert, and they came out to inspect my system. It turned out that it had failed because of filthy filters and a clogged return duct, which made me sick to my stomach. I had caused the problem, and I needed to learn how to fix things. My HVAC professional taught me a few easy maintenance techniques that I didn't know before, so that I could maintain my new system. Check out this blog to learn more about HVAC yourself.
Homeowners often don't stop to think about the ducts in their home. They simply know that the ductwork is what pushes the hot and cold air through their system and into their home. Even though many don't think about what might be lurking in their ducts, you should. There are a number of different contaminants that could end up making you and your loved ones sick without your even realizing it.
Some people assume that there is no way possible for dust to end up contaminating their ducts. They figure it cannot get inside there since the system is sealed up. However, that isn't the case. As your system blows the air through your home, it is also blowing around the dust and debris in the air around you. That same dust that gets blown around in your living room will end up making its way into your system through the air intake and creating buildup along the way. For allergy sufferers, this can pose a major problem. You need to get the ducts cleaned to eliminate the buildup and prevent circulating dust throughout your home.
Mice only need a small space to squeeze into the ducts in your home. Before you know it, they have crawled all over your home leaving their droppings everywhere they roam. No one should breathe in the toxic fumes associated with mice droppings and urine. Just because you never saw a mouse inside of your home, that doesn't mean they weren't there at some point. Duct cleaning will eliminate all of that and sanitize the system along the way.
Depending on where you live, there is a chance that you might have mold growing in your ductwork. Areas with a lot of humidity can cause immense amounts of condensation in ductwork. That condensation will in turn allow for the growth of mold. Mold can be toxic and breathing in the spores as the system blows the air around isn't good for you. You need to clean it out and help protect your health. The mold spores can contaminate everything if you allow them to grow, and the HVAC spreads the spores throughout the house, allowing mold to grow other places as well.
Your best bet is to call in a duct cleaning specialist who can get the job done for you and make sure you and your family are breathing in clean air each and every time your system turns on.Share
14 October 2015